Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What I’m Reading: Preface

In the last four years, which I refer to as my “dumbing down,” I have only read a handful of books.  On the other hand, I have listened to hundreds of audiobooks.  My biggest excuse for this literary laziness is simple: the kid.  If I were to crack a book in her presence, she would immediately declare ownership of it, rip it from my grasp, and begin shredding the pages.  Furthermore, when she was small, I mean tiny-small, I would lay down next to her to get her to sleep.  This was for both napping, and bedtime.  I began to listen to audiobooks to entertain myself, often in the dark.

Anyway, it just stuck.  I listen to books any chance I get: cleaning, driving, shopping and working out.  On a side note, I could never understand how someone could read on a treadmill, or stair climber.  That’s a complete mystery to me. 

Also, when I share the stuff I’m “reading,” I am not interested in offering you, dear reader, an insightful, critical literary analysis.  Like I said, I’m getting dumber.  I will share where I meet the author in the work; how I feel about it.  Feel free to post your impressions also, agree or not.

Lastly, this is a really easy blogging topic I can babble on about without much forethought.  I’ll write about books I’ve finished, and probably television and movies also.

Next up: Stephen King’s The Green Mile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lets consider for a second, that instead of pulling out a phone or a laptop or a handheld device of some sort to watch TV or play online poker, you are doing something to entertain and stimulate your brain. Life's situations don't always provide for ideal circumstances, but you are making the best of a very busy life with a very active toddler. You have your priorities in line and are catering to your family in a way they need you to as a father. I bet its hard feeling as though you don't have an independent self that can even find time to steal away in quiet with a book each week, but I know you wouldn't trade what you have for the world. I look forward to your reviews and hope they lead me to something of interest for myself, but in the mean time, don't be so critical of yourself. The scholastic part of your life might have slowed for a bit right now, but your heart is growing exponentially.