Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What I’m Reading: The Green Mile

fe10ebae-2cd8-465e-9a36-767ce13d3bf8There are few movies that I will watch again, and again… by choice.  There are several animated movies that seem to play on a continuous loop in our house.  I am fond of most all of Pixar’s offerings.  Lately, I’ve really enjoyed Despicable Me.  My tolerance for anything princess is thinly veiled.  Anyway, tangents aside, Stephen King’s “The Green Mile” is a movie that I can come back to like a good book.  However, I’ve never read it. 

Perhaps I’ve forgotten one, but the only of Stephen King’s screenplays that were worth a crap are, “The Shawshank Redemption,” and “The Green Mile.”  I suppose “Hearts in Atlantis” was a fair movie, I haven't read it.

The only significant difference from the book, and movie is the chronology jumps around more in the book.  Aside from that, they are nearly identical (so far).

As usual, Kind develops his characters slowly, but thoroughly; like them or not.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m listening to the audiobook.  Frank Muller is the narrator/performer.  I’ve always liked his renditions of Stephen King’s work, especially “The Gunslinger,” and “The Drawing of the Three” in his magnum opus the “Dark Tower” series.  On a side note, if you’re not aware, check out Frank Muller’s story here; it’s tragic.

Having said that, Muller’s performance is tiring in “The Green Mile, though not distracting.  I plan on enjoying the book.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How long are these audiobooks? And, in what format do they come? CD? MP3?